Completed Cover Part 2

This post is a continuation of the previous in which I discussed the process of finalizing my magazine's cover photo.

I made decisions and revisions as I was actually designing the cover page on my computer. I though that I woulds stick to my plan, yet I realized that using an unfamiliar program and having models that did not allowed for my desired shots made me have to change the design. I decided to look to other covers for inspiration. I made decisions based on brainstorming and making many custom designs, such as an attempt to make a paw print (seen below). By seeing how well I could execute those designs and ideas, I made do and created the cover shown in the last post.

Starting off by just looking at Caster magazine covers, I wanted to be unique and stand out with a different, more difficult cover to make. I started off with heavy emphasis on helping strays, and this transitioned to strays and pets. But with the ready availability to photograph pets, I began focusing more on them with a remaining concern for strays, evident in the mention of them in my cover. By remembering those magazines I looked at, I was able to quickly redesign my vision for my cover, evident in the fact that my cover is similar to the formatting in magazines like Dogster, Modern Dog, etc. The original sketches in my sheets of paper outlined the beginning thoughts of how my magazine would look, and it allowed me to remember certain features that I wanted to for sure have, and it shows straying away from the blueprints and coming up with original ideas for the final product. These are signs of journey and progress throughout the process of creating this cover.

I used a sense of branding in my final product by acknowledging what the people want, and what effects them. Having an adorable puppy effects them; it peaks captivation. Having blurts and quizzes creates interest; it makes them interactive. Having strays as a major theme grabs them; they feel sudden urgency and sympathy, creating the incentive to take action. Thus, Paw in Hand promises to create senses of cuteness, interest, and awareness to bring out positive change to the lives of many dogs and cats.

I used many digital tools to create my final product. I primarily used Adobe Indesign to format the cover page and create text, shapes, etc. I used Photoshop as well to enhance my image's lighting and sharpness. Dafont.com was implemented as well, as it provided me with synthetically pleasing, advanced fonts that were free, which I used the digital Snipping Tool to add. Microsoft Paint was used to design my own paw print design for the cover, but since it came out sloppy, I resorted to using a graphic found on Google Images.

I would like to mention before ending this blog post that I changed the name of the magazine from "The Paw" to Paw in Hand because of the reception received from constructive criticism that I seeked. I realized that it was too basic a name. I also replaced the a in "paw" for the paw print design I originally tried to recreate for visual aesthetic purposes and to emphasize the inclusion of both dogs and cats.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Codes and Conventions of Catster and Dogster

Completed Table of Contents Discussion Part Two