Catster Feature Spread







        Today's entry is based on the feature spread. The feature spread are the pages usually about the dominant photo on the cover on the magazine issue. If something is the dominant photo, that means it is largely important, or the best feature in the issue, so it makes sense that a lot of effort would go into creating a certain look or design on this spread. Catster, the animal care magazine I have analysed in the past, will provide three different feature spreads that will be compared. Through this, I will retain certain techniques that I learn about.
        First off, one issue makes use of both pages of the spread for the article, the other two only use one page and use the second for either a large picture or an ad. Using both spreads for the article allows for more discussion and elaboration of the issue. Using the large picture allows for more visual appeal, while using an ad benefits the publisher and could also benefit readers. Out of these three, I would choose using one page for text and the other with an enlarged image. As an experienced journalist, I have noticed that both I and my previous audiences prefer smaller amounts of text. This is less intimidating towards readers and makes my life easier. Also, I like the visual appeal of having the image, to me, it has a modern feel to it.
        On the topic of pictures, two of the spreads used a total of six photos while the third only had two. The pictures are primarily used to accentuate the text, such as a picture of a jaguar when it talks about jaguars. A lot of these pictures are staged so that the cat, they are each of felines, looks cute. This is effective because it entices readers by winning their hearts via cute cats. A cat wearing a construction hat and tiny goggles makes me interested in reading more. I, however, personally prefer the holiday issue's picture use I feel as though the others are cluttered, no space to breath. Minimal pictures are modern and pleases me more. Organization is always appreciated by all. I also like how that spread distances the pictures unlike the other two. Like I said, clustering the pictures together irritates me since there is no room to breath.
        The majority of the text is in sans serif font. The mood and feelings most associated with sans serif typefaces are modern, friendly, direct, clean and minimal. I prefer serif fonts because they are more formal, and I would say, sophisticated, which seems appropriate when dealing with animals struggling alone. One issue forms the title of the article with a question, while the others use a sentence. Using a question is more personal to the reader, which would make them become more interested or invested. Thus, I would try to use that technique, although not for each. I prefer the personal aspect of them, though sometimes it could be better to be exact and frank with titles. Catser also uses a variety of designs for the titles of these feature spreads. One is a simple serif, the other is a sans serif in a design that looks handwritten with a marker, and the third uses another handwritten font mixed with serif. The handwritten design is more visually appealing, but cannot be taken as seriously as normal text. I think a nice mixture of the two would work out nicely. Since my magazine covers pet care, the hand written titles could go there since it is a more playful topic. On the helping strays parts, I would use normal, more serious fonts to reflect the seriousness and urgency of the issues.
        Each Catster magazine also makes design choices that reflect the theme of the article. The holiday spread makes a beautiful ornament clipart. The safety spread gives a cat construction protection. The summertime spread gives a cat an oversized pair of sunglasses. These are all pleasing touches to the designs that give off a cuteness. Cuteness makes it more likely that people would read the article, so adding these simple yet powerful touches is wise.
       Another thing I noticed is the when the feature page is actually reached. One Catster issue is reached right in the beginning on page 12, another a little later on on page 34, and the third more than halfway through at 59. I think placing is important since this is the feature spread. People look at your magazine and they think, gee, I that looks interesting, I want to read about that. The cover image is crucial, and thus, the feature spread is crucial. I would then copy the later placement of the spread since this allows the reader to go through more pages to see it. They could more easily come across my work, and this increases the chances of them stopping to read my topics.
        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Codes and Conventions of Catster and Dogster

Completed Table of Contents Discussion Part Two